Consumer Complaints

The Idaho Consumer Protection Act protects Idaho’s consumers and businesses from unfair competition and deceptive business practices. The Act authorizes the Attorney General to file a lawsuit when he has reason to believe that a business has violated the Act or other laws that he enforces. Because our resources are limited, we bring lawsuits in cases of statewide significance.

The Attorney General represents the State of Idaho and cannot act as a private attorney for individual consumers. Any legal action we take is on behalf of the state.

We investigate complaints alleging a pattern or practice of unfair and deceptive acts or practices. Information from consumers allows us to identify and devote our resources to the most serious cases involving widespread injury to Idaho’s consumers and its business environment.

Examples of commercial acts or practices that the Attorney General investigates include:

  • Deceptive advertising
  • Deceptive billing practices
  • Deceptive door-to-door sales
  • Deceptive catalog or Internet sales
  • Deceptive pricing
  • Deceptive telemarketing
  • Unlawful use of the word “free”

If your complaint involves a commercial activity similar to those mentioned above, we encourage you to file a complaint.

When appropriate, we will attempt to resolve your dispute through our informal dispute resolution process. We will forward your complaint to the business and mail the business’s response to you. If we do not receive a response, we will notify you. It is unnecessary to call for status updates.

Our dispute resolution process is voluntary and requires the cooperation of all parties. We cannot guarantee a satisfactory resolution of your complaint.

Your complaint form and supporting documents are public records. As such, they may be inspected by the public under Idaho's Public Records Law. We also share our complaint forms with other law enforcement agencies.

To protect your privacy, we strongly recommend that you remove all personal confidential information, such as Social Security numbers, bank account and credit card numbers, and medical information from copies of any documents you include with your complaint.

Do not send our office any documents that contain private or confidential information. However, if the documents you send us do contain personal confidential information, the best way to conceal this information is by whiting it out, erasing it, or using a black marker to cover it.

If you need to “update” your complaint after submitting it, please do so in writing.

Other options are available to help you resolve your complaint:

  1. Your local Better Business Bureau may be able to assist you in mediating a dispute with a business.
  2. You can file an action in Small Claims Court if the amount in controversy is less than $5,000.
  3. If the business violated the Idaho Consumer Protection Act or the amount in controversy is more than $5,000, you may have a private legal remedy. You should consult with an experienced attorney for assistance. If you do not have an attorney, you can contact the Idaho State Bar’s Lawyer Referral Service at (208) 334–4500 or

Depending on the nature of your problem, you should consider filing your complaint with one of the agencies listed below:

  1. If your complaint involves negotiating a mortgage modification, call the HOPE hotline at (888) 995–HOPE to speak to a housing counselor. Depending on your income status, you may be eligible for assistance through your local legal aid office.
  2. If your complaint involves public benefits, domestic violence, fair housing, senior citizen issues, immigration, or discrimination, you may be eligible for assistance through your local legal aid office.
  3. If your complaint involves an individual who is licensed through a professional board, file a complaint with that board. Many boards fall within the purview of the Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses. Complaint forms are available at
  4. If your complaint involves a national bank, file a complaint with the Office of Comptroller of the Currency. Complaint forms are available at
  5. If your complaint involves a state-charted bank, a collection agency, a debt management company, a mortgage broker, or a mortgage modification service provider, file a complaint with the Idaho Department of Finance. Complaint forms are available at
  6. If your complaint involves a violation of the National Do Not Call Registry, click here for information about how to file an online Telephone Solicitation Complaint with the Attorney General's Office.
  7. If your complaint involves the receipt of SPAM, file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at If you need emergency legal assistance, have questions about your legal rights or options, or need assistance in locating or understanding local, state, or federal laws, please call a private attorney.

Filing A Complaint With The Attorney General's Office

Download the Consumer Complaint Form here. (This form requires Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 or later to download and use form functions.)

Please download the form to your computer, then complete, print and sign it. You should also save a copy of your complaint for your records. Send one signed copy to us with copies of the supporting documentation. Keep the other copy with the original supporting documents for your own files. Do not attempt to e‑mail this form. We will not receive it.

Mail the completed, signed, and dated complaint form with any supporting documentation to:

Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
954 W. Jefferson, 2nd Floor
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0010

File a Consumer Complaint Information on Propsed Sale of St. Joseph Region Medical Center, Inc. St. Luke's Antitrust Case Other Consumer Topics Protect Yourself from Identity Theft Consumer Manuals Consumer Alerts Information on the National Do Not Call List Idaho Gasoline Issues